The BeerHoptacular Homebrew Competition
Calling all Chicago-area homebrew clubs. The 2018 BeerHoptacular homebrew club competition is back. Space is limited so sign up today. This is a unique opportunity to compete head-to-head (so to speak) with other tri-state area homebrew clubs, with one being crowned Chicago’s “BeerHoptacular Homebrew Club of the Year” There is no entry fee and each competing club will receive two complimentary tickets to the Saturday afternoon session of BeerHoptacular. Please fill out the contact form below with any questions for the homebrew competition.
Each homebrew club will receive a total of 12 lbs. of grain (generously donated by Mid Country Malt Supply, South Holland, Illinois). There are no style requirements for this year’s homebrew competition.
The Rules & Regulations:
- Each competing club must brew its beer using the provided grain only. You may use as much or as little of this grain as you choose, but you may not add any other grains to this bill. You may also alter these grains (toast, roast, smoke, etc.) if you choose.
- You may add herbs, spices and miscellaneous flavoring such as fresh fruits or fruit flavorings, as well as add any fermentable sugars -malt extract, candi syrup, invert sugar, honey, apple juice, molasses, treacle, etc. Oak chips and barrel aging are allowed.
- Each competing club may add hop character to this beer as it chooses. Hop varieties and quantities used are up to the individual club.
- Beer style is not stipulated. Each competing club may choose to ferment and age its beer in any way it chooses. Any beer yeast and fermentation temperature is allowed.
- Six 12-ounce brown (amber) bottles must be submitted for judging. All six of the bottles must have a label affixed to them with rubber bands. Labels must be clearly and completely filled out. Use this label: https://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BottleID.pdf
- All competition beers will be judged by Professional and BJCP judges on Saturday morning, September 22nd, 2018. The sole winner will be announced at BeerHoptacular. The judges’ decision is final!